Thursday, September 10, 2009

I feel bloated with confidence.

Not with baseball. With baseball I have a bare glimmer of hope that keeps getting darker.

No, instead, I feel extremely bloated with confidence going into the football season. Things couldn't look brighter.
With the dawn of the Titans-Steelers game (and their ridiculously self-indulgent and stupid hour long intro), football season really has arrived.

I can't remember the last time I've gone into a season feeling so completely and utterly sure that my team would win a championship. In any sport, in any year. But really, if I put myself in the place of any other team in football I would have to be quaking with fear to face this Vikings team.

Lord knows I'm not a Brett Favre fan. But really, I dare any team to stack the box on Adrian Peterson with this man lined up behind center.
Do it.

After a long, hectic day at work today where I balanced two people's jobs, I decided to go to my bar and relax for a bit.

My bartender, Sam, is a sincere Packer's fan and puts up with my taunts, so I couldn't help but tease her about buying her a purple Favre jersey as a present. It's the little things in life that make me happy.

Eventually, an old drinking buddy, Ron -- lifelong Giants fan -- stopped by and we inevitably talked football. For some odd reason he still thinks the Bears are the favorites in our division, and I could only stare dumbfounded. Really?

I can't think of one team in the NFC let alone the AFC that would be a clear favorite over the stacked Vikings -- and this is in spite of Favre. Despite all the face time he gets, Favre isn't the person taken #1 over all in practically every Fantasy Football draft, nor is he the man in practically every Nike or Gatorade commercial you'll see on TV. Who is that again?

Oh right.

Ron asked me to pick the one flaw on our team and for the life of me I couldn't find it. Our O-Line? That's going to be pretty solid with Loadholt paving a freeway down the right side just as he did in the first drive against Texas. Maybe our secondary? Perhaps if you forget about Antoine Winfield and Madieu Williams.

Perhaps I'm going to be extremely let down. But I doubt it. It's the first week of the season and I'm allowed to feel extremely confident. And I think this year I have a right to. Fear the purple.

That being said, Brad Childress and the Vikings front office are complete douche-bags and I really feel bad for Bobby Wade. That's just wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, the Vikings are going to be exciting this year, that's for sure. I think they'll make it all the way to the Super Bowl. And then lose, as per usual. Sorry, I'd like to be more optimistic, but I've seen this movie before.

    ReplyDelete